Monday, September 12, 2011

Sometimes A Man Has To Can

In our last post I mentioned that I made an insane amount of applesauce, (it actually took two sessions because all of the peeled & sliced apples would not fit into one pot). Now I was faced with the problem of what to do with all that applesauce. While we did freeze some of it, I didn't want to take up all of freezer space for applesauce. So I did what any man put in this position would do, I rode to the Walmart, picked up a case of Ball quart-size jars, and started canning.

Now, I've never canned before, (why do they call it canning when it goes in a jar anyway?!) but the instructions on the box made it seem super easy. If you're curious, there are also recipe-specific instructions on their website, http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes.aspx .

Since it was my first time and I was a little scared, I also checked on YouTube and of course found about a thousand canning videos there. When all the pain was over, you know that you did it right if the lid suctions shut and doesn't pop back up when you push it down. Mine were good, so at least I know I won't kill the family, well, not this time anyway.

Now that I know it's not to big a deal, I will definitely can some more things. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment