Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It makes you Wonder

For those of you that have never viewed the classic sci-fi film Soylent Green, SPOILER ALERT: It turns out that in 2022 the Soylent Corporation, a company that produces processed rations for the entire world has been claiming that the Soylent Green ration is made from "high-energy plankton" but is actually made from people. I'm sorry, but you've had nearly 30 years to see the movie and that's plenty of time.

Now I know that may be an extreme example but it does beg the question; Just what is in the food that I'm eating? For instance, last week in the bakery section of our small grocery store I bought a lovely loaf of fresh bread and when I flipped it over to check out the ingredients, they were flour, milk, eggs and yeast. Wandering a few isles down to the "bread" isle, I grabbed a loaf of Wonder out of curiosity and flipped that over; Here's what I found:

Ingredients

Made with Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Flour, Barley Malt, Ferrous Sulfate (Iron)B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine, Mononitrate (B1)Riboflavin (B2)Folic Acid)Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Potato Flour, Yeast, Buttermilk. contains 2% or less of: Wheat Gluten, Dough Conditioners (Potassium Bromate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Alpha Amylase)Soy Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Monoglycerides, Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Calcium Propionate (to retain freshness)

Am I missing something here?

No comments:

Post a Comment